Have you ever landed in a role that you didn’t consciously choose yourself yet it turned out to be one of the most valuable experiences in your life? I have. A few years ago I came to recognize that I was being drawn to perform ceremonies. So I got myself ordained as a non-denominational minister and now I am an active wedding officiant. Ten years ago if you told me I’d be doing this I would have laughed. Yet now I see the divine perfection of the universe in this little assignment of mine.
I’m going to come clean here by sharing that I have been a bit jaded about the idea of getting married. You see, I’ve been divorced twice. My second husband left me for another woman. You might say that it left me holding on to the limited belief that a wonderful man who wouldn’t run from commitment might be out there for me. So I find it pretty interesting that I now get up front and personal with couples who are about to be married. What’s the message here? I think the universe is playing with me.
I’ve learned a lot from the couples I’ve worked with. In numbers they’ve provided me with an intimate look at our culture. Individually they’ve shown me how I might change some of my own beliefs so that I can find true love, too. I’d like to share some understandings that have come to me through this work:
- It is possible to find the love of your life on the Internet.
- Most of us are afraid to cry in public.
- We all want to be loved and accepted.
- Nearly everybody lives together first.
- Hearts can be open-minded about race, religion and gender if you let them.
- Differences can be seen as balance.
- Your heart can know in an instant.
- Love can show up in a very different package than you expect.
- Friendship is the cement of the relationship.
- Men can be just as sentimental as women.
- Even the most bitter of exes can get along if they choose to.
- Love can come even to those who have lost hope.
If you’re in love right now, remember what it is that brought you together and say a prayer of gratitude for the gift that has come to you. If you’re not, trust that it is all in divine timing. Your turn will come. And I bet it will be even better than you could imagine.
Thanks for visiting.
In peace and light,